At the end of the week, if you’re anything like me, you will have bags of leftover unused vegetables. I like to combine those items into a salad. While searching the web for things to do with my leftover broccoli, I found this recipe from The Sweet Life. My adapted recipe is below. This recipe is nut free, nutrient dense, and sure to satisfy any salad craving.
Broccoli Detox Salad (serves 2)
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 3 leaves of kale
- 1/8 small red onion (if you like fresh onion taste), otherwise 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cremini mushrooms
- 1 small fistful of parsley
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 handful of raisins
- Shred the carrots and set aside.
- Put the broccoli florets and onion into a food processor and pulse until pieces broken down.
- Shred the kale.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Add all the cut vegetables into a mixing bowl and combine.
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice (lemon juice is not needed if you have onions) and combine.
- Add the sunflower seeds and raisins and combine.
Note: To change it up, you might also think about adding: diced apples, dried cranberries, sliced almonds, walnut pieces, or changing out the olive oil with your dressing.