I’m sad to admit, but I ate my first macaroon only this year. I was at the Fairmont for a work event and there were some small treats for the customers. During the afternoon sessions, I finally caved and tried one, and they were amazing. So I was glad that I stumbled upon a post for raw vegan macaroons, and I thought, I would make my own. My recipe is based on the post by gliving and can be found here.
Strawberry Nutella Macaroons (Makes about 18 macaroons)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp strawberry puree
- 1 1/2 cup shredded light coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla
- Stevia drops to taste (I used about 1 1/2 tsp)
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup raw nutella (recipe can be found here)
- Puree the strawberries. Do not leave chunks.
- Combine the strawberry puree, coconut flakes, coconut oil, vanilla and approximately 1/2 tsp of stevia in a food process, and pulse until the coconut oil i combined.
- Taste and add stevia to taste. Do not make the cookie mixture too sweet. It should just be lightly sweet.
- Take a 1 tsp spoon for each cookie and place on a flat surface.
- Using a measuring cup (I used 1/4 cup measure), press the bottom against each cookie and press until you feel some resistance and stop. Use your fingers to reform the cookie if it breaks.
- Place the cookies on a mesh dehydrator sheet.
- Dehydrate on 115 degrees until the cookies are slightly dry on the outside, but still moist on the inside. (For me this took about 2 hours.)
- Separate the cookies into pairs. For one cookie in each pair, place the flat side up.
- Scoop 1/2 tsp nutella onto the flat side of one cookie in each pair.
- Using your palm, take the other cookie and press down to form the macaroon.