It’s raining in earnest here in Silicon Valley for the first time in months. I had to work late, and that combined with the traffic and slick roads meant coming home late. I looked in fridge and found leftovers from the week, and I decided to combine it all into a lasagna. Really it was inspired from a picture of raw lasagna that I saw in a cookbook. Only I cheated by using items I already had.
- 1/2 cup oil free pesto (recipe here)
- 1/4 cup jalapeno cheese (recipe here)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tomato thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini
- Cut the ends off the zucchini and cut it in half. Then slice with a mandolin on the thickest setting. Make 9 slices total.
- Add the olive oil and spinach in a separate bowl and combine with your hands. Really work it through until the spinach looks steamed.
- Start with 3 zucchini slices slightly overlapped.
- Add the “cheese”.
- Add the pesto.
- Add 1-2 slices of tomato. Make sure the lasagna is relatively level.
- Using your hands to mold, add a handful of spinach.
- Top with 3 zucchini slices facing perpendicular to the ones on the bottom.
- Repeat with the cheese, pesto, spinach and tomatoes.
- Top with the remaining 3 slices of zucchini.