I love making raw larabars. But I have to be honest, sometimes the recipes out there get a little bit old. I wanted to try making some myself, and these are amazeballs! I wanted to use fewer dates and try using a different binder ingredient so that the larabars would hold together nicely. And I found it in chia seeds. Chia seeds have become so popular for their benefits that even my mom knows about them! Benefits include:
- Keeps you fuller longer
- Reduces blood pressure
- High in omega-3 fatty acids
- Easier to digest than flax seeds
But what a lot of people might not know, is that when combined with water, they congeal into a paste that can be used in raw recipes. My recipe incorporates chia seeds, agave and dates as the binder, providing a light sweetness in every bite, without being overpowering. The cinnamon gives these bars a coffee cake like taste. Try them and I’m sure you will love them too!
Cinnamon Coffee Cake Energy Bars (makes 16 small bars)
- 1/4 cup of chia seeds
- Filtered water
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/2 heaping cup of pitted dates
- 2 tbsp filtered water
- 1/2 cup almonds unsoaked
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/4 flaked light coconut
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup vegan semi sweet chocolate chips
- Put the chia seeds in a small bowl. Add enough filtered water to just cover the seeds.
- Let the chia seeds sit covered for about 20-30 minutes, or until it forms a thick gel.
- Combine the chia seed gel, agave and dates into a food process and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Put the oats, sunflower seeds and almonds in a food processor and process until crumbly.
- Add the coconuts flakes, and liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and process until it forms a doughy mixture.
- Add the cinnamon and pulse until combined.
- Remove from food processor and press into a bread pan.
- Place in the freezer to set.
- Take the vegan chocolate chips in a double broiler and stir until the chocolate is melted.
- Take the bars out of the freezer and cut into 16 pieces.
- Scoop the melted chocolate on top of each bar. OR drizzle and create your own designs!
- Place back in the refrigerator to set (about 10 minutes).
- Instead of vegan chocolate chips use raw carob chips or raw chocolate sauce
- Instead of chocolate, incorporate raisins before pressing into pan